- Author:David Hesmondhalgh
- Title:The Media and Social Theory (CRESC)
- Size PDF version1407 kb
- Size EPUB version1900 kb
- Format:fb2, pdf, azf, odf, lit, ibooks, mobi, epub, cb7
- 1407 downloads at 32 mb/s
- 1900 downloads at 39 mb/s
Media studies needs richer and livelier intellectual resources. This book brings together major and emerging international media analysts to consider key processes of media change, using a number of critical perspectives. Case studies range from reality television to professional journalism, from blogging to control of copyright, from social networking sites to indigenous media, in Europe, North America, Asia and elsewhere. Among the theoretical approaches and issues addressed are:
- critical realism
- post-structuralist approaches to media and culture
- Pierre Bourdieu and field theory
- public sphere theory – including post-Habermasian versions
- actor network theory
- Marxist and post-Marxist theories, including contemporary critical theory
- theories of democracy, antagonism and difference.
This volume is essential reading for undergraduate and postgraduate students and researchers of cultural studies, media studies and social theory.